Working Holiday Visa

With this visa you can spend a year in Australia and thus live one of the most beautiful experiences of your life.

This visa is specially designed for young people under 31 (for some 35 nationalities) who want to venture to Australia for a year to work and travel.

The Working Holiday Visa is a visa created on the basis of international relations between countries that want to encourage intercultural exchange and tourism.


  Age: The visa is granted only to those aged between 18 and 31 (within the 31st year). As previously mentioned, some nationalities have the possibility of using the WHV up to 35 years of age.

Duration: The visa lasts one year and from the moment of the request it takes one year to enter Australia. The year starts from the moment you set foot on Australian territory. It is possible to enter and exit the country freely during the Working Holiday Visa year without any problem.

Renewal: Renewal can be requested for a maximum of two times. For the first renewal, 88 days of work in the primary sector (agriculture, mining, livestock and other) in regional or better rural areas are sufficient.

Work: You can work full time for the entire duration of the working holiday visa but you cannot work for more than six months for the same employer, except for the Northern Territory in certain professional areas.

Study: The visa allows you to study for a maximum of 17 weeks. For a longer period of study a student visa is required.

Insurance: Thanks to the agreements between Italy and Australia we can (as well as other countries) take advantage of free Medicare for the first six months. This can be renewed by leaving and returning from the country at the end of the six months or you can opt for a private insurance.

Passport: The WHV can be requested by the following nationalities Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malta, Norway, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Sweden, Taiwan.

Useful Questions

How do I get the Working Holiday Visa?

The request must be made on the immigration website Waiting times are generally short

How much?

485 AUD and you pay directly from the immigration website

Do I have to prove that I have money to be able to enter Australia?

From 2019 it is necessary to demonstrate that you have access to personal funds by attaching an account statement with at least 5000 AUD which corresponds to about 3800 euros. If you do not have that money available, a relative or parent who claims to support you in your experience can also act as guarantor.

What work can I do with WHV?

You have no limits to the employment opportunities during your working holiday visa.

Are I already in possession of the Working Holiday Visa what are the first steps to start working in Australia?
  • Request the TAX FILE NUMBER (TFN) which would be the equivalent of our tax code, which gives you the opportunity to work as an employee and be remunerated.
  • Bank account. Really simple to open a bank account in Australia. You can choose the current account that best suits your needs. Try checking out this link and find out what Australian banking institutions offer.
  • Australian Business Number (ABN) in case you want to work as a freelancer. Remember well both the ABN and the TFN are completely free and simple to request. Find out how in our guides published in our Blog.
Can I renew my Working Holiday Visa?

Yes, as long as you have worked for at least 88 days in the primary sector. Otherwise you will have to opt for other solutions to extend your stay on Australian territory.

From 1 July 2019 you can renew your working holiday visa for a third year as long as you have worked for 6 months in the primary sector during your second year of Working Holiday Visa.

If you want to know more, contact us for a free consultation.

To get the second working Holiday Visa you have to

1) Having completed 88 days in the regional areas during the working holiday visa. See the link below to see if the area where you did the job is eligible as regional:

2) Not yet turned 31 at the time of the request

3) Be out of Australia when a visa is granted if the application is made outside Australian territory

4) Being in Australia when a visa is granted if the application is made within Australian territory

How do I get the third Working Holiday Visa?

From 1 July 2019 it is possible to obtain a third Working Holiday Visa if you can meet the following requirements:

1) Having completed 6 months of work in the regional areas during the second year of Working Holiday Visa

2) Be between 18 and 30 at the time of visa application. (Until the day before the age of 31)

3) Be in Australia when a visa is granted if the application is made from within Australian territory

4) Be out of Australia when a visa is granted if the request is made from outside Australian territory